We are happy to resume classes in our 900-square-foot classroom. If you prefer private lessons, we can arrange that too. Just drop by or call the shop at (401) 337-5578. Masks are required.
- This event has passed.
Modular Knit Shawl with Olga
May 13, 2020 @ 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
May 13, 10:00 am to 1:00 pm | $100 | Registration required
Renowned author, knitwear designer, and instructor Olga Buraya-Kefelian will be traveling to our shop to teach two classes, this beginner class, and Novelty Cables, which is an intermediate level.
Modular Knit Shawl Level: beginner
This adventurous beginner class is based on Asanagi Wrap or Aranami Shawl design and is worked in modular technique. In this class, you will learn the theory of modular knitting and
create this stunning ombré wrap of scalloped patterning with yarn of your choice. But what is more, you will learn numerous vital techniques as a knitter which will be crucial for your future skill set. Many of the tricks and tips and customization suggestions taught during this class will prove to be a lot of fun!
Skills needed: knowing how to cast on, knit and purl.
● Basic theory for Modular knitting
● Various cast on methods and their benefits
● Several ways of picking up stitches on both knit and purl sides
● Different methods of knit and purl decreases
● Numerous tips and tricks on improving your skills with this technique
For Asanagi Wrap
● 223 yds of fingering weight yarn in 5 (or more) complementary colors
● US 3 (3.25 mm) short straight or two double-pointed needles, or as preferred (or size to obtain gauge)
● Crochet hook size C or D
● Tapestry needle
● Removable marker
For Aranami Shawl
● Fingering weight wool in colors
● US 2 (2.75 mm) circular, 36” or longer
● Stitch holders or scrap yarn
● Crochet hook C or D
● Tapestry needle
● Copy of Asanagi Wrap or Aranami Shawl pattern before arriving to class
● Work the garter stitch swatch as asked in the pattern to determine the needle size to obtain gauge. Do not cut yarn from the swatch, however, wash and block your swatch.
Max students: 20